Thursday, October 27, 2005

Lucy & Ethel strike again

I feel that I am a fairly intelligent person. Yes, I can be goofy at times, but can't we all? Tonight I proved my goofiness to myself and to Crissy.
I was fixing red beans with ham for supper at Crissy's. Sounds simple, right? That's where you are wrong. I had soaked the beans, rinsed them, put them on to cook with the ham and the seasonings. All was going well until I decided to do what I've done before. I read somewhere that if you like for the beans to be soft, you add 1/4 teaspoon of (Here's where it gets messy.) baking something. You know how my mind works. If the recipe calls for baking soda, then baking powder should work too, right?! That's where you would be wrong.
Have you ever seen the "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy makes bread? For those of you who haven't, she makes the dough and lets it rise. When she goes back to check on it, it has tripled in size. This troubles her a little, but she carries on. She kneads the dough, etc. Finally she puts it in the oven to bake. When she takes it out, it just keeps coming and coming. You get the idea. That's what the beans did. When I added the baking soda, it foamed up like a science experiment gone wild. It was truly a sight to behold. I grabbed the pot and rushed to the sink. Crissy was laughing so hard she could barely stand up. She grabbed the spoon and scooped
8 inches of foam off of the top. It was CRAZY!!!! Everytime we put it back on the stove to cook more, it grew again. I have never seen anything like it.
Sometimes when Crissy and I get together, we are like Lucy and Ethel. We are goofy airheads who can't get it together, and it makes for a great time. Anyone who's around us at one of these times can't help but laugh at us.
Our husbands put up with a lot out of us. They look at us, smile, and shake their heads at our latest comedy of errors. Scott just read this and smiled. He knows it's true, and he loves me anyway. That is so cool to me!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Kim that is a hilarious story!! thanks for sharing. I could so see it happening!...wish I coulda been there (I think).