Thursday, February 14, 2013

Yumminess

A couple of years ago,  I was looking for some easy and inexpensive beef recipes. Being a home-school mom for our family means one income and not as much time as I'd like for meal prep. I was cruising Pinterest.com and found this pinned by Elizabeth Bryant from her blog:

I was kinda iffy since I'm not exactly an adventure eater, but I decided to try it. Oh. My. Yumness! This is awesome! And easy! And delish! You get the idea.

A few friends have asked for the recipe after seeing my pic of it on FB and Instagram. I decided the easiest way to get this recipe out to the masses was a blog post. So, here ya have it.

Korean Beef
1 pound lean ground beef (the leaner, the better)
1/2 cup brown sugar (If you don't like sweet, this can be cut back to 1/4 cup.)
1/4 cup soy sauce (low-sodium)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (see note)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to desired spiciness (I use 1/4 tsp.)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced (Required!!!!)

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat, and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt, pepper, and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed sticky rice, and top with green onions.


Note: I always forget to buy fresh ginger, so I use 1/4 tsp ground ginger instead. I know, that's cheating, but there it is.

No comments: